.........Training for a 620 mile bike ride in October 2009.......
...a.k.a... the Qualcomm Million Dollar Challenge...

.....Raising $62,000 for the Challenged Athletes Foundation....
.....Becuase CAF is a GREAT Organization.....

..................Why?........Because I like a good challenge...............
....And cause I like to think everything is possible....

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

All in perspective

Much thanks to those who left comments on my last post. The encouraging words of others was exactly what I needed, both for getting past this and for being more diligent about posting.

I have good news! At first I was fretting about how I could make the rollers more difficult. they are my main form of training and thus the main opportunity to get stronger. While lifting yesterday morning I first thought about jamming a towel under them, as a way to increase the friction on the roller. And then I realized there was already a built in mechanism to add friction to the rollers & thus make them more difficult. Problem solved. (Silly me, I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner). I can make those rollers more difficult than any hill or mountain I might face. the only question then is how much better can I get in the remaining time. It feels good to know that I have the means to challenge my body and that the only way I cannot improve is to avoid training.

So today I cranked up the resistance and I think I've matched the challenge I found in the parking garage. Typically, tues/thurs are easy days & Wed is a 'spin' class type of day. I'm flipping that around such that tues/thurs are 'hill' days & Wed is a light day. I'll take off the resistance entirely on wed so I can work on my pedal speed & to give my body a rest. Saturdays are now 2.5 hour rides. I'll probably put on a 'light' resistance, enough to increase the difficulty, but not so much I can't keep my pedal rate up. Sundays are long rides... I'm going to break the ride down into parts, varying the resistance, inserting a few 'climbs', and a few 'flats' (for cardio & pedal speed) but capping my time on the bike at 6 or 7 hours. Hopefully, I'll make the target distance. But the real goal is to be prepared. We have to be off the road at 5pm each day & I probably will get on the bike b/t 7 & 8 am most days.

If I'm honest with myself, part of my experience and thoughts about Sunday centered on pride.. I don't want to show up & embarrass myself. It would be embarrassing to be ill prepared. I don't want people to attribute any difficulty to my 'disability' if its really due to a lack of proper training and conditioning. It would be a blow to my ego if I showed up in less than acceptable conditioning. And so I'm grateful for my experience sunday. I have time to improve, time to get better. The climbs will be a challenge, but I'd like to make a respectable showing, to be a respectable presence and representation. I don't believe in excuses. It is easy to find a reason why not, but I choose to find a way.

But it important to balance pride and ego with acceptance. Should I be unable to do as much of the ride as I want to, should I decide that I was not well enough conditioned, I will accept it as gracefully as possible & enjoy the trip. I mean really, spending a week riding in a car down the California coastline isn't a bad deal at all. The success is in the journey, in the challenges faced and the lessons learned. Once this is all over, I'll be looking for the next one!

2 comments:

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

your a machine.... keep up the great work.

Mom and Dad said...

Girl Power! Knowing that you take after your grandfather -you will do just fine.